Sunday Stuff

by Alaina on April 1, 2012 · 9 comments

-Only 1 more week until I can face plant into these. Don’t forget the napkins.

-I’ve realized that I love foods with really strong flavors. For example: the super oniony salad at the Chart House and more recently, the veggie sub that I had last week at the house. I love the combination of pickles, onions and mustard. Weird? But I like it.

-I’ve been re-evaluating my fitness goals for this year. I declared before that it was going to be my year of PR’s (I already PR’d twice!) but now I think 2012 will be the year of strength and not as much running. Right now our main focus is having money for the house, so I think I’ll be doing less races this year. I’m already signed up for the Run to Remember 5 miler in May, I plan on signing up to run the BAA 10k in June and the CVS 5k in September, and I also want to volunteer again at the Harpoon 5 miler in May. But other than that, my race calendar will be light this year. Since I started running in 2007 I’ve ran 30 races! I’m in no hurry to do even more.

-With that being said, I’ve decided to dust off the ol’ P90X DVD’s, bring out my resistance bands and get my Tony Horton on. He’s extremely cheesy, but effective. And actually, with some of the workouts, I just go by the booklet and not watch the DVD’s themselves. I find that working out is much more enjoyable while watching my favorite shows. And instead of doing the Cardio X or even the Plyometrics, I’m going to run. I don’t want to stop entirely because I want to be ready for the races that I am running! Plus it’s just fun to get out there.

-And to be held accountable for my new workout plan…

IMG_5939IMG_5940

My before pictures. FYI: I don’t think compression shorts flatter anyone. What I really want to concentrate on is toning the upper body and getting more definition in my abs. And I have pretty broad shoulders so I would love to tone those up too. You all are now my witnesses to this statement! We’ll see how it all looks on May 1st. Smile This morning I did the Chest & Back so we’re off to a good start!

-I’m so glad that Lara Bars are back in my life. For awhile I was having at least one a day and I think I lost my flavor for them. I’m happy to say that they were back in my grocery cart today. Especially since they were on sale, 10 for $10 at Star Market!

IMG_5941

-I cannot wait for the Boston Marathon to happen because that means more hours for me at work! It’s been nice to still have some time off, but we definitely need the money. And hopefully I get to see Christine and Rob when they come back into town!

-I’ve been receiving daily tips and links from the Fitness Magazine website and I wanted to share with you some of my favorites:

-Did I mention I can’t wait until Easter? I don’t know what to make for dinner tonight…

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 1, 2012 at 5:17 pm

good luck with the P90x challenge! i think you look great already but I know its nice to get in muscle definition!

2 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic April 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Good luck with your new goals, girl! My fitness goals changed too, in fact pretty surprisingly for me. I thought I would be doing a lot more running, but after dropping out of the marathon I kinda lost my motivation for a few weeks. By the time I was ready to run again, I experience painful shin splints every time. So I am basically forced to take a few more weeks off. By this time last year I already ran several races but I guess I still have the rest of the year to do a couple :) My new fitness goal for the year is to do more yoga (as opposed to just once a week)!

3 melissanibbles April 1, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Yay for strength training! It’s what you have to do to get that definition you’re after. In honor of your return to P90X, I give you this: http://jezebel.com/5897580/ranking-the-p90x-supporting-cast-from-worst-to-best

4 Alaina April 1, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Haha, I love it! I think most of my calories are burned laughing at the cast.

5 melissanibbles April 1, 2012 at 6:16 pm

It’s so funny because I have this irrational hatred towards Audra. I’m always yelling at the screen, “Why are you here?! You’re so lazy!” Now I feel validated.

6 Tina April 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Have you tried Bodyrock.tv for your strength workouts? They are only 12 minutes long. I found out about them early January and love them!

7 Alaina April 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I haven’t tried those yet! I have done a few of the OnDemand Exercise TV workouts and I really enjoy the variety. I think doing P90X all.the.time might make me crazy. :-P

8 Meghan April 2, 2012 at 7:54 am

I definitely want to focus on strength once the marathon is over. Marathon training makes me eat soooo much and actually gain weight. That said, if I do get a number in the NYC Marathon lottery, I will be back to training again quickly :)

9 Michelle April 2, 2012 at 8:54 am

So brave of you to post before pictures. I love that you are using the blog to hold yourself accountable!