My “Normal” Friend & Boston Marathon

by Alaina on April 15, 2012 · 8 comments

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. Today and tomorrow are (and will be) very busy days for me! Tomorrow is the 116th running of the Boston Marathon! Last year it seemed like the hotel was much busier. It’s still go-go-go at the Fairmont but a little less so. And again, I just love the atmosphere at the hotel this time of year.

Yesterday I had the day off and I headed up to my sister and brother’s in law place for my other brother and sister in law’s birthday. They’re leaving on a road trip soon so the gifts were travel-centric (think snacky-foods and entertainment). I got them some Trader Joe’s trail mix, peanut butter filled pretzels, cereal bars and a $25 Amex gift card. Lunch was delicious, and unpictured: BBQ pulled chicken sandwich with cheese, mac-n-cheese, coleslaw, and these DELICIOUS butterscotch cupcakes. Seriously, my sister in law Sara makes the best cupcakes.

cupcake

After a few hours of family fun, I headed back to Boston to meet up with Christine, her husband Rob and David in the North End. Our original plan was to go to Mike’s Pastry but the line was insane. We ended up going to Modern Pastry instead. Better in my opinion.

modern pastry

David and I split a large, and delicious, pistachio bar.

pistachio bar

Christine and I (from her iPhone)

christine and i

Last night was pretty laid back at home. We made beef burrito’s and made it an early night.

Today was a busy day at work and I loved it. It’s so awesome to be in the presence of people like Bill Rodgers, Joan Benoit-Samuelson, Geoffrey Mutai, Caroline Kilel, and my favorite, Ernst Van Dyk. Smile I hope he get’s number 10 tomorrow!

After work, since the sun was still out, I took some shots of the finish line.

finish line

finish line

And just like last year, the thoughts of maybe running through that finish line crossed my mind. *sigh* Who knows.

Tonight David and I made some homemade pizza with chicken and yellow peppers. And I had a beer from my favorite Boston brewery.

harpoon

I hope you all had a great week and have a great week ahead! Do you have any big races coming up? My next is the Run to Remember 5 Miler. Need to start getting out there and run more than 2.5 miles!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Michelle April 15, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I ran the BAA 5K this morning and it was a lot of fun!

2 melissanibbles April 16, 2012 at 5:41 am

That cupcake looks delicious! I’m sad I have to work this year and can’t watch the marathon. It’s going to be very hot though so maybe it’s a good thing?

3 Lauren April 16, 2012 at 6:59 am

Ah, Boston must be so exciting right now! Happy Marathon Monday girl. :) Can’t wait to run the Boston Run to Remember with you! :)

4 Alaina April 16, 2012 at 11:12 am

I can’t wait either! It’s such a great course, and for a great cause. :-)

5 Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 16, 2012 at 8:32 am

Happy Marathon Monday Alaina! One day we could both be in it…you never ever know :) That cupcake does look pretty awesome as well, butterscotch is so good!

6 Sarah April 16, 2012 at 11:29 am

Happy Marathon Monday!!!! Boston is FULL of so much awesome positive energy right now!! My office is right on Beacon street and I am skipping out in 10 minutes with my boyfriend and we are going to bar hop to the finish! My sister is running this year!!! :-D I get so emotional watching the runners. I really get choked up. These runners are living their DREAMS :) I hope you get to watch it! SO awesome you got to be in the presence of such incredible runners. I was going to run the Run to Remember Half marathon but we decided on a camping trip instead. Races are getting pricey… they really add up! :/

7 Rach April 16, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Mmm… your homemade pizza is making me hungry just thinking about it, haha! I think it’s about time for me to start making dinner!

8 Colleen @ Culinary Colleen April 16, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I ran the B.A.A. 5k on Sunday and it kind of made me want to run the Boston marathon!