Foundry on Elm

by Alaina on April 29, 2012 · 8 comments

Maybe it was the fact that it was a Friday night and at 8PM they treated the restaurant like a club, but my first impression of Foundry on Elm in Davis Square was less than stellar.

David and I arrived right on time for our 8:15 reservation and before entering, two “bouncers” asked us for our ID. I was a little turned off at that point because I thought we were going to eat dinner, not drink the night away at a bar. Anywho, we showed our IDs and went inside to find out that our table was ready for us. Our table which was right next to the bar and a high top. Not the best scenario for David but since he knew I had wanted to try this place out, he put on a brave face for the evening.

Our server was great throughout the entire evening. Even though it was a crazy busy night, she was still there when we needed her, and we were even in and out of dinner in less than an hour (our doing; we weren’t rushed). To start the evening, I had the Butternuts Pork Slap beer. It’s a smooth, delicious beer and I love the name of it. David had a Samuel Smith Cider.

IMG_6001

When our beers were brought out, mine was in a can, David’s was in a bottle and we had one glass. I ended up drinking mine out of the can. I probably could have asked for another glass but I just went with it. (David grabbed the glass before I could. Winking smile )

For an appetizer, we ordered the fried calamari with aioli, pepper relish and basil.

IMG_6002

The dish was certainly delicious; I LOVED the pepper relish! But I felt like for $11 the size was kind of lacking.

For an entrée, I was torn between quite a few dishes. I finally settled on the croque monsieur with black forest ham and gruyere with a side salad.

IMG_6003

Unfortunately I was kind of disappointed in this dish. As a ham and slightly-melted cheese sandwich on toasted bread, it was yummy. But maybe my idea of a croque monsieur is skewed? I thought it would be way meltier and the cheese would actually be sticking to the bread, almost like you would need a knife and fork to eat it. Maybe I’m wrong and being way too critical? Either way, it was yummy but I guess not exactly what I was imagining. I will say that the side salad wasn’t very good; there were a lot of butt-ends of the romaine lettuce stock that I ended up picking out.

While we were eating, there were patrons gathering around the bar area and a few times, they actually bumped into David. It wasn’t exactly the most pleasant atmosphere to be in. Like I said earlier, we were in and out in under an hour.

For dinner, on a weekend evening, I would probably stay away from Foundry, unless you like the bar scene more than the dining scene. I have heard great things about their brunch; that would probably be way more up my alley.

Foundry is located at 255 Elm Street in Davis Square, Somerville, MA.

Foundry on Elm on Urbanspoon

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lauren April 30, 2012 at 6:41 am

I love calamari! It’s such a great app to start when dining out. Glad you had a good time!

2 Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 30, 2012 at 6:42 am

Booo I am sorry this was a less than pleasant experience! It’s too bad too, that sandwich sounds so promising (and looks tasty too)! I hate when the environment is really rushed or crowded too, definitely takes away from the experience of going out to eat

3 Michelle April 30, 2012 at 7:22 am

I’ve only been there for brunch and had a decent experience. Bummer that your experience wasn’t so great!

4 Meghan April 30, 2012 at 8:11 am

I’m sorry your experience wasn’t great. We’ve kind of stopped going out on weekend nights to avoid the crowds and sometimes rushed food/service.

5 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic April 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

I’ve been there a couple of times, but not on a Friday night. Lunch and brunch is definitely peaceful! You are right about a Croque Monsieur – it should def be meltier. Some versions even have bechamel so you definitely need a knife and fork to eat it :)

6 MelissaNibbles April 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I love Foundry! I’m sorry you had a bad time. I love it because of the bar/club atmosphere. You finish eating and get to partying! If you don’t expect that going in though, I can see why you wouldn’t like it. Try their brunch. it’s delicious and definitely not as rowdy as it is at night.

7 Colleen @ Culinary Colleen April 30, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I’ve tried Foundry lots of times (because it’s right down the street from my apartment) and am usually disappointed with their food. It’s a great place to hang out during the day for drinks though when it’s less crowded. They have such a great beer list!

8 Sarah G May 1, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I don’t drink beer, but I pick it up at the store for my boyfriend a lot and if he doesn’t tell me what to get I choose based entirely on packaging. I totally bought this beer for him the first time I saw it, because I loved the cans! The same people also make a stout called Thunder Moo that I also bought him based on the packaging (and a little bit on the name – he is known to some as Thunder Pete). He LOVED the Thunder Moo, so if you’re a stout fan definitely check it out – I found it at the liquor store in Davis Square (I don’t remember the name).