• AlainaEmail
  • AlainaInsta
  • AlainaPin
  • AlainaTwit
  • AlainaFB
  • AlainaRSS

My Longest Day Yet

by Alaina on February 16, 2013 · 2 comments

5am – Wake up.

6am – Start driving in to Boston. Stop for gas.

7:05am – I’m already in Boston? Wow, that commute was a lot faster than I thought. I decided to stop in to the Intercontinental Hotel, where I used to work, to see some old coworkers. My doormen were still there. Smile

7:45am – Arrive to the Seaport World Trade center to start setting up for the TV Diner Platinum Plate Gala (The company I work for did the event planning).


8am – Oh yeah, made a stop at Dunks to get some coffee. Definitely going to need the caffeine.

8:30am to 12noon – Arranging tables and linens for all of the TV Diner Platinum Plate Gala restaurants (about 44 in total).


12noon(ish) to 1:45pm – LUNCH! Catered from City Table: Turkey sandwich with bacon, lettuce and mayo on asiago bread, pasta salad, Sun Chips, orange and a chocolate chip cookie. I was starving! And needed to fuel for the rest of the day.

2pm – Restaurants start to arrive. I was in charge of 14 restaurants to make sure they knew where their stations were and to let them know that I would be their main point of contact throughout the evening.

My restaurants were:
Brasserie Jo
Met Back Bay
Cedar’s Hummus
Granary Tavern
Cafe Escadrille
Red Lantern/Gem/Empire
Blue Ox

Phew! But everyone was so nice and easy to work with.

2pm to 6pm – Getting everyone settled, running around to help out with last minute arrangements, like the flowers.

6pm – Change in to our formal wear for the event.

7pm – Doors are open and people start to arrive. My feet are beginning to hurt.

7pm to 9:30pm – Making sure all of the restaurants are good to go. Do they need napkins, forks, plates? I was on radio the whole night, and still working, but we were able to enjoy some of the food and I had one gin and tonic.

9:30pm – My feet were killing me. They let me go a bit earlier than what was on the schedule (11pm).

10:30pm – Arrive at home and my right hip was KILLING me. I really felt like I had just run a marathon.

11pm – Passed out.

Overall, I have to say that yesterday was one of the best working days ever. Yes, I was running around ALL day (only sat at lunch) but I loved the craziness. I couldn’t imagine doing it day in and day out as a catering manager or banquet manager, but every now and then it’s great to get out of the office and help out.

6th Annual TV Diner Platinum Plate Gala a success. Smile

me and lauren

What’s your favorite part of your job?

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 16, 2013 at 7:52 pm

That is a long day!


2 jen February 18, 2013 at 10:13 am

sounds like a long but rewarding day. i’m so happy to hear that you are enjoying your new role!


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: